Masud Olufani is an Atlanta based multidisciplinary artist. He is a graduate of Arts High School in Newark, N.J., Morehouse College and The Savannah College of Art and Design where he earned an M.F.A. in sculpture in 2013. Masud has exhibited his work in group and solo shows in Atlanta, Georgia; New Orleans; Louisiana; Chicago, Illinois; Richmond, Virginia; Lacoste, France; and Hong Kong, China. The artist has completed residencies at The Vermont Studio Center; SCAD Alumni Artist in Residence Program; The Hambidge Center for Arts and Sciences in Rabun, GA.; and Creative Currents in Portobello, Panama. He is a 2017 Southern Arts Prize State Fellow for Georgia; a recipient of a 2018, and 2015 Idea Capital Grant; a Southwest Airlines Art and Social Engagement grant; a recipient of 2015-16’ MOCA GA Working Artist Project Grant, and is a member of the 2014-15’ class of the Walthall Fellows. He is the lead designer of Blocked at Five Points, a site-specific installation created to memorialize the enslaved Africans bought and sold at the Crawford Frazier Auction House, which once stood on the grounds of Atlanta’s Five Points MARTA station.
• M.F.A. Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, GA
• B.A. Studio Art, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA
- Solo exhibition: The Albany Museum of Art; Albany, GA.
· Generations; Besharat Gallery; Atlanta, GA.
- Southern Sampler; Tower Fine Arts Gallery; College at Bockport; Brockport, N.Y.
· Trip Wire; Dodd Galleries; the University of Georgia Lamar Dodd School of Art.
• Imprint: Past as Prologue; Solo Exhibition; SCAD Museum of Art, Savannah, GA.
• Poetics of the Disembodied; Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia.
• Personal Politics; The Hudgens Center of Art; Atlanta, GA.
• Portalism; Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia; Atlanta, GA.
• Frequencies; Beep Beep Gallery; Atlanta, GA.
• Echoes; Lineage of the Spirit; Lilian Blades & Masud Olufani; The Art Place; Marietta, GA.
• Project Lift Artist Salon, Atlanta, GA.
• Continuim; The Goat Farm Arts Center; Atlanta, GA.
• Talent Loves Company, The Barbara Archer Gallery. Atlanta, GA.
• Tony Blair Foundation World Malaria Day Art Auction, Atlanta, GA.
• Hambidge Center for the Arts, Art Auction, The Goat Farm Arts Center, Atlanta, GA.
• MAO: Residue. Mason Muer Fine Art, Atlanta, GA
• Action Mapping. Whitespec Gallery. Atlanta, GA
• MAO: Threading Through Memory. Archetype Gallery. Atlanta, GA
• Open Studio. Savannah College of Art and Design. Atlanta, GA
• The New Pan-African Ideal. Archetype Gallery. Atlanta, GA
• Facing Out & Looking In. Underground Atlanta. Atlanta, GA
• Open Studio. Savannah College of Art and Design. Atlanta, GA
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Jacob Lawrence Lecture; The Jepson Center; Savannah, GA. Fall 2018.
- Artist in Residence, 100 West Corsicana; Corsicana, Txs.
- Finalist: National Black Arts Festival Visual Artist of the Year Award; Atlanta, GA.
- IDEA Capital Grant Recipient; Atlanta, GA.
- SCAD Alumni Mentor Award
- Finalist: ARTADIA Award (Atlanta).
- Southern Arts Prize Fellowship; Georgia.
• Finalist: ATL Arts Luminary Award
• Artist in Residence; the Vermont Studio Center; Winter 2016.
• SCAD Alumni Atelier Award recipient; Savannah, GA; winter 2015.
• MOCA GA Working Artist Project Grant; 2015-16.
• Southwest Airlines Art and Social Engagement grant in conjunction with Emory University Center for Ethics; Atlanta, GA.
• Idea Capital Grant recipient; Atlanta, GA.
• WonderRoot CSA Art Advisory Board; Atlanta, GA. 2015-present.
• The Walthall Fellowship; Atlanta, GA. 2014-2015.
• Creative Currents Artist in Residence; Portobello, Panama Summer 2013.
• The Creatives Project Artist in Residence; Atlanta, GA. 2013-15.
• Shortlisted for the MOCA GA Working Artist Grant, 2012.
• Artist in Residence, Hambidge Center for the Arts and Sciences, Rabun, Ga; 2012.
• Residency Fellowship, Fulton County Arts Council, Atlanta, GA. 2012
• Full Graduate fellowship, Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, GA. 2009-12.
• Fulton County Arts Council Grant, Atlanta, GA
• Graduate fellowship, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
• CGR Art Advisors Scholarship recipient, Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA
• New Jersey Arts Council Grant. Newark, N.J.
• Carla Aaron-Lopez, “Archetype Gallery Begins 2011 With Fresh Artists, New Arts Magazine,” posted January 18th, 2011, www.burnaway.org/2011/01/archetype-gallery-begins-2011-with-fresh-artists-new-arts-magazine/
• Review: WonderRoot’s Walthall Fellows emphasize live encounters in “Portalism” at MOCA GA, posted August 12th, 2015; http: HYPERLINK "http://www.artsatl.com/2015/08/review-portalism-wonderroot-walthall/" HYPERLINK "http://www.artsatl.com/2015/08/review-portalism-wonderroot-walthall/"//www.artsatl.com/2015/08/review-portalism-wonderroot-walthall/
• Greg Head, Review: "Bearing Witness: Masud Olufani at MOCA GA," posted August 3rd, 2016. http://burnaway.org/review/masud-olufani-at-moca-ga/
• Felicia Feaster, "Art review: Race, history loom large in haunting solo exhibition," posted August 8, 2016. http://www.myajc.com/news/entertainment/arts-theater/art-review-race-history-loom-large-in-haunting-sol/nsCK9/
• Review: "Masud Olufani’s “Poetics of the Disembodied” blurs the line between mediated and unmediated," posted August 26, 2016. http://www.artsatl.com/review-masud-olufanis-poetics-disembodied-blurs-line-mediated-unmediated/
• Paula Wallace, Review: "Masud Olufani: Artist as Concatenator," posted September 20th, 2016. https://www.scad.edu/blog/masud-olufani-artist-concatenator
• A Conversation with Andres Bedoya and Masud Olufani: 'Storied Objects,' https://blog.scad.edu/scadglobal/arch/7426
· Ronda Racha Penrice For the AJC, "Atlanta Actor on BET's The Quad also local acclaimed Artist," posted March 21st, 2017. http://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/atlanta-actor-bet-series-the-quad-also-local-acclaimed-artist/Zz5mNYZwdLwQMjbksyFyNN/
· Carl Rojas for Burnaway, "Chopping it up with Southern Prize Finalist Masud Olufani," posted May 3rd, 2017. http://burnaway.org/feature/southern-prize-finalist-masud-olufani/
- Masud Olufani, "Masud Olufani Responds to Montgomery's National Memorial for Peace and Justice," posted May 22nd, 2018. https://burnaway.org/feature/masud-olufani-montgomerys-national-memorial-peace-justice/
Masud Olufani, "The Gorilla in the Cage Part 1," posted March 10th, 2018. http://bahaiteachings.org/gorilla-in-the-cage
Masud Olufani, "The Gorilla in the Cage Part 2," posted April 4th, 2018. http://bahaiteachings.org/gorilla-in-the-cage-part-2
Masud Olufani, "A New Race of Men?," posted March 27th, 2018. http://bahaiteachings.org/new-race-men